DOODLE FREAK!

An artist in the making…… :)

Gloss Programming:Upside Down Elephant “Drawing”.

August18

So, to start, I go to this small school of three kids. An amazing woman by the name of Sue Spengler, started  it up after her 12 year old son asked if she could home school him through middle school. Something we’re doing in the school is programming. Her neighbor Chris comes in every Tuesday and Wednesday, and little by little, we are learning a different language, learning to draw pictures with this language. This is a picture I made with a library for Haskell called Gloss. Now I know this looks like a very simple picture that you could very easily make in 10 minutes, but just that upside down elephant took about 2 hours. The petals on the flowers took at least 3 hours, and the clouds took 30 minutes, maybe more. I’ll post another picture of the code I had to write in order to make this picture. this is actually REALLY hard to do , and understand at first. Eventually, my classmates and I will have each made a computer game from this.

Photobucket

And yes, this IS supposed to be upside down. I meant it to be, to make it a little more of a challenge.

By the way, this is NOT the finished product, the picture will be “edited”. When I have the finished product, I will post it.

Thank You for reading! Please comment!

:)

by posted under School | 3 Comments »    
3 Comments to

“Gloss Programming:Upside Down Elephant “Drawing”.”

1. August 24th, 2011 at 12:18 AM      Reply Daniel Says:

Awesome! I bet that took a lot of patience… a skill that comes in handy when learning to program :)

2. August 24th, 2011 at 2:22 PM      Reply Doug Says:

This picture is really impressive Sophia! I like that you did it upside down. The really cool thing is that now you can change it so that it’s right side up without redoing all that work. You actually already know enough to do it–you don’t need anything new from Chris.

If you figure out how to do that, then see if you can make a right side up version where the elephant is facing to the left and another one where the elephant is facing to the right. This is a little trickier, but you can still do it using only the functions you’ve already seen.

3. August 24th, 2011 at 3:45 PM      Reply Dustin Says:

This is incredible, nice work! As Daniel said, what a great display of where patience can take us.

Learning to program is surely an opportunity you wouldn’t have had in a traditional school. How fortunate you are!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Haskell for Kids: Week 2! « Sententia cdsmithus

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment: